Thursday, November 8, 2007

The Songs That Saved Your Life 1


Breaking my own mental rules for this blog by making a non-review post.

This is a song I really like. It's from 'Spirit They've Gone, Spirit They've Vanished' by the proto-Animal Collective (originally released under the name Avey Tare and Panda Bear).

I know a lot of people are just listening to Strawberry Jam, and that as far as most people get in their lifetimes is Feels and Sung Tongs. So I wanted to share an earlier song.

It's not kooky, to use a ridiculous word people have used in relation to Animal Collective too often. It doesn't sound like it's from a campfire singalong. There aren't any tribal drums or vocals. It has great lyrics. And a sort of really carefully constructed fragile sound that reminds me of a spider-web with dew on it for some reason. AND it drops at 5.15 into one of those bits that makes me punch the air with happiness.

It's fantastic. Enjoy it.

Chocolate Girl

For real-life chocolate girl.

No comments: